Harrison’s Birth Story




Harrison Michael Smith

Born: Saturday, March 8th, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Weighed: 7lbs. 7oz. Height: 19.5″

He decided to make his appearance a little early, he arrived 8 days before his expected due date.

A few weeks before he was born I was already dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced. I went in for two more visits and wasn’t ever checked on my progress. I kept thinking I could have him early but at the same time never thought I would actually have him early. The Saturday morning he came, I woke up around 6:30, rolled over and thought; “Did I just pee my pants?” I got up and just figured it was me being crazy. I went downstairs and watched some TV, about 7:00 I went to the bathroom again and I was slightly bleeding. I woke up Matt and he told me to call the answering service and talk to the midwife on call. She called me back pretty quick. I let her know what was going on. She said it probably wasn’t my water breaking but she was going to round on patients in a few hours, if I could hold off she would meet me at the office, around 9:30, and she would just check me to see what was going on. I hurried and jumped into the shower so I could wash my hair just in case we were having him, but we both didn’t really think we would. As the morning progressed I kept having a small trickling feeling (like I was peeing my pants) and the thought of having this baby today was becoming more real. We still hadn’t packed up all our bags for me, Addy or Matt. We totally forgot to pack anything for Matt, live and learn. I couldn’t do much of anything that morning. We quickly gathered what we could and headed to my mom’s to drop off Addy. We had a few minutes to wait at my mom’s and Matt ran home to get a few things we forgot, good thing we live so close. As I was waiting I started getting a mild back pain every once in awhile. We hadn’t even installed the car seat, this is how un-prepared we were. We kept thinking we’d have another week and the weekend to finish up all our last minute to do’s.

We finally made it to the office, she confirmed that my water had indeed broke and I was probably dilated to a 5. She couldn’t verify exactly but she said she could see the top of his head and lots of dark hair! So at that point she gave us the option of going home and waiting or being admitted and we could get things rolling to have him within a few hours. Since my previous labor was quick she didn’t think us going home was a great idea, she thought I would probably end up having him at home, in the car or in the hospital parking lot going over the bumps. So we called my mom and said we weren’t coming home and we were having this baby today. I also had to call my sisters because we were suppose to get pedicures that afternoon. I was a little shocked and definitely feeling like we weren’t quite ready, I was really hoping to have that last weekend to get things done. Oh well, he wanted to make his appearance early and that was that!

I don’t have contractions so once I was admitted I was put on pitocin to speed things up. I got an epidural right away, at that point I was having some mild cramps and a back ache (my versions of contractions). It was rather strange to get an epidural without relatively any pain. It was definitely a better epidural experience this time around than with Addy (with Addy I had to get poked 3 times!!!) I started dilating faster but they realized he wasn’t positioned correctly so they slowed down the pitocin/dilation and I had to lay all funky with a giant peanut shaped yoga ball between my legs to get him to move. As soon as he moved we were practically ready to start pushing. Oh and did I mention that it was early afternoon and I hadn’t eaten since 6:30 and I had half of a Costco muffin (or should I say cake) and Matt was chowing down on a burger and fries. I was a little jealous. But the lime flavored ice chips were pretty tasty! I will admit I told him to eat it in the room instead of the cafeteria because I was afraid he’d miss the birth if he didn’t. He’d already missed me getting my IV in and I absolutely hate getting any sort of shot or poke.

It was time to push and the second I started my first push the nurse called the nursery down because they thought he was going to come that quick. Sadly, it didn’t happen that fast. He kept moving his head to the side and moving his hand up by his chin making it difficult to push him out. They re-positioned him and I pushed about 5 more sets and he was here, it was about 25-30 mins. The epidural didn’t work wonders and I could feel quite a bit (just like Addy), I had the nurse pushing the button for me. The nurses were awesome and they held my legs like champs! I had about 8 people in the room, all hospital staff and Matt and I. It was quite the birthday party!

It was a pretty smooth and quick delivery. Matt got to see a lot more than he ever wanted, but he survived. I had minimal tearing and it was a good experience with the midwife and hospital. I absolutely loved my midwife, she was perfect for us and I am so glad I had such a good experience with her. I had to switch providers at the beginning of the year and was a little hesitant but I absolutely loved all the midwives but especially loved the one that delivered Harrison.

He looks just like Addy but with lots of dark hair! That was probably the first two things both Matt and I said. Once everything was done, we had to stay in the delivery room for quite awhile as they prepared our recovery room, which was weird because there was pretty much no one in the hospital, but whatever. We had lots of visitors over the next 24 hours. Addy came to visit and she did so well. She picked out a dinosaur stuffed animal for Harrison and she got to open her present from brother as well. She was loving spending her day with yia-yia and wasn’t sad to leave and loved seeing baby brother.

Saturday day and night we had great nurses and was well taken care of. Sunday was a different story. The nurses didn’t come around often and every time I would call the front to ask a question they acted very put out and I rarely got answers and when I asked for medicine it would take them over an hour to get it to me. It was a bit frustrating but at the same time we really didn’t need help and we were hoping to leave Sunday anyway. My midwife checked in and went over everything. All we had to do was wait to hear from the pediatrician on call and get his circumcision. The pediatrician was the strangest guy we ever met. He walked in and immediately asked why we wanted to circumcise him, Matt and I had already discussed it and we found it odd the way he asked. He was very young and in a nice way different. After some awkward conversation he took Harrison away. When he came back with him he rolled him into the room and the bassinet ran into the bed. It was a little frustrating. But an hour or so after that we were able to head home. It was strange that we had such lack of service because literally as we walked out there was nobody around us. They didn’t wheelchair me out and they didn’t check the car seat to make sure Harrison was in properly. It definitely through me off a bit because they were pretty strict about this when I had Addy.

The first week and a half have been pretty good. Addy has been the best big sister! She loves him and is very interested in him. She shares her food and toys with him, loves giving him hugs and kisses and is always concerned when he is crying. We are trying to stick with routine and she hasn’t seemed to be bothered by him here at all. She even wakes up and asks where he is. We hope this continues in the months to come.

I got a yeast infection 5 days after his birth and it was extremely painful. On top of it my milk came in and came in with a massive amount. That led to engorgement and with the combination of the infection I was having some rough times. I had a few meltdowns because the pain was so bad. I thought I was getting better and everything would seem normal but then the pain would come back fast and painful. It finally got under control and things are feeling normal again. Now it’s just the lack of sleep to deal with.

Harrison is such a good baby thus far. He is so alert and constantly has his opens, even at the hospital. He is so strong, he tries to hold his head up and he is already rolling over to his side. We definitely won’t  be leaving him on the couch like we did with Addy for months on end. He is great nurser, he got the hang of it pretty quick and it didn’t take too long for my body to accept nursing again and get past the initial pain. He is a snuggler though and loves to be held, rocked, swaddled…you name it. This is how Addy was, it was difficult at times. He is also super gassy and struggles in that department. Otherwise he is  a very calm and a good baby thus far. He does have some lungs on him and the minute he’s hungry he let’s us know. He is pretty good at sleeping and is improving and going longer every night. Matt and I take turns sleeping on the couch with him in a bassinet. We are hoping he gets better in the next few weeks!

We are so in love with him! We are biased and think he is quite handsome. We can’t stop saying how crazy it was he came early and he is almost two weeks old! We are a family of four and though things have drastically changed we are loving every minute of it. We love him in our home and he fits right in. He is so cute and we can’t imagine our lives without him now.

Leave a Reply